Note: This post contains affiliate links. That means I may receive a very small commission, at no cost to you, if you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase. For more information, click here.
Years ago, one of the previous owners enclosed the garage and created two bedrooms. We are using one of those bedrooms as a home office and the other as a home gym. This is another room that I finished last year, but never wrote anything about it on the blog.
The room was originally painted off-white with off-white trim and doors. I painted the ceiling and walls light gray using Behr Premium Plus Ultra matte/flat Full Moon (Behr – 780E-2). The built-in shelves were painted with Behr Premium Plus Ultra matte/flat Sparrow (Behr – 780F-4). The trim and doors were painted with Behr Premium Plus Ultra satin Ultra Pure White. The interior of the closet was painted with Behr Premium Plus Ultra matte Ultra Pure White.
This room has a concrete floor. The floor originally had two coats of paint on it, the bottom coat was red and the top coat was black. The floor was scuffed up pretty bad since I had been using this room as a storage and work room, so I wanted to repaint the floor. Since I wasn’t happy with how the floor turned out in the home office, I decided to paint the floor with a concrete stain instead of using a dye. I cleaned the floor and scraped up all the loose paint. After making sure the floor was as clean as I could get it, I used Behr Concrete Stain on the floor, hoping it would work better than the concrete dye. I used a paint roller to apply two coats of Tar Black. I opted not to use a sealer since it caused a cloudy look to the concrete dye floor. So far, this floor looks much better than the floor in the office, plus it has held up better.
Other improvements were:
– Hired someone to remove the popcorn ceiling.
– Replaced the ceiling vent registers.
– Placed LED light bulbs in the ceiling fan and the closet light fixture.
– Replaced the ceiling fan pulls.
– Replaced the bronze door knob on the office door with a Baldwin satin nickel knob.
– Replaced the bronze door knobs on the closet doors with Baldwin satin nickel dummy knobs.
– Replaced the bronze door hinges on all three doors with satin nickel hinges.
– Replaced the ball catches on the closet doors.
– Installed a new doorstop for the door into the room.
– Replaced the windows.
– Removed the blinds and hung curtains. I used a double curtain rod with curtains already had – I had used them in another room, but wasn’t happy with how they looked, so they got moved to this room.
We hired an electrician to update the electrical work in our house. For this room, that was:
– Replaced the outlets with white decorator outlets.
– Replaced the toggle light switch with a white decorator rocker switch.
– Replaced the cable outlet with a white decorator coax.
– Replaced the phone jack with a white decorator jack.
– Had hardwired smoke/carbon monoxide alarms installed in the house – one alarm was placed in this room.
– Had the light switch for the attic lights moved into the attic. The attic access is in the room, and the light switch was in the center of the wall and looked out of place, so it’s nice to have it moved into the attic.
It’s nice to have this room finished – it gives us a nice work-out space and we both want to use this room more. We already had the treadmill, but we bought the exercise bike and weight bench last year. We had another weight bench, but decided to get a new one since the other one wasn’t in very good condition. The exercise bike was something I wanted because I prefer it over the treadmill. Now, I just have to make more time to use this room!